Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Pre-Assignment: Rooftop Marriage Proposal

In exactly one week from today, I will be on special assignment photographing a special day when my client surprises his girlfriend by popping the big question.

He contacted me a couple of weeks ago via email and since then we have been communicating, sending emails back and forth, mostly discussing about how would he executing his grand romantic plan. For obvious reasons it would not be appropriate for me to lay out the details of his plan in my post. What I can share with you here is that he is taking this very seriously and really hold nothing back. I feel really honored and privileged to be a part of this very special moment of both their lives.



This is actually a second time I received this kind request. The first time a few years ago (also on top of a really tall building). This time is different for me somehow. I think a big part of it is how much my client has gone through to put all this grand plan together, all the energy and effort for that special moment. Also another big part of it is how I approach this particular assignment. The combination of timing and strategy involved will really keep me on my toes on that day. Also I feel just as nervous about the day as my client is.

Because of the time and the kind of occasion I will be shooting in, I know everything I do will be in low light condition. I have done night time street photography for my friends, my clients and myself, but nothing in such a controlled situation. For extra pressure I put upon myself, I will try doing thing a bit different and try experimenting with off-camera flash for (hopefully) more dramatic effects for the special occasion. Before I decided to take this approach, my other option is to go for a fast lens, which I don't have at the time. Actually I didn't have either the flash or a fast lens for this assignment. In the end, I decided to go for the flash, Canon Speedlite 270 EXII. Why? First: price. Second, and more importantly, creative opportunity. I just bought my flash yesterday, since then I spent most time retro-fitting my old DIY diffuser. So I got just a week to learn and master the flash, the technique and the style I am going for on the day of the assignment.

I still got works to do before the big day. I sincerely appreciate being a part of this special moment. That is one of the reason I love photography, to capture unique and special moment in life such as this.

Best of luck for my client on his big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment